Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Sunny and the Rower

I have been doing really well with my Crossfit attendance. My first week I went to 4 classes. The second week I went to 5. Week 3 started out strong with 3 classes and Friday made four. Well, three and a half.  Against my better judgment I attended last Friday's class. You know. The one where it's really intense and I'm way out of my league? Yeah. That one. I had advance warning that the workout for the day was a real doozy but I went anyway. No pain no gain, right? From what I heard it would be tough but doable so I felt confident that I'd tough it out and make it through it.

Things were going great until there was a break in the itinerary. Major Pain brought out the two new rowing machines. I saw them when they were still in boxes and I could tell that he was a little too excited about them but when he pulled them out my heart started racing and I wanted to puke.

"I'm going to divide you up into teams of three and you have to row for 1500 meters. Winners get barbeque sandwiches from Southern Heritage and losers do 25 burpees."

Uhhh.... duh I want a sandwich! I was put on a team with two very fit gentlemen and immediately apologized that they were stuck with me. I rowed second and was up against Brandy, my hair dresser and Crossfit buddy. All I remember about this experience was intense burning EVERYWHERE and checking to make sure that I was ahead of her. Looking back, this wasn't the best strategy. I should have paced myself instead of rowing like a maniac. During the last 200 meters I developed a headache at the base of my skull that intensified until I was done. I'm guessing it had something to do with the lack of oxygen to my brain. I kind of forgot to take deep breaths. Whoops! When I stood up my forearms were permanently frozen and I had little red bumps covering my arms. I'm not really sure if the two were connected but I seriously felt like something was not okay with my body at that point.

I know. I'm being dramatic. The rower kicked my butt but at least I won a sandwich! I didn't care so much about the sandwich as I did the burpees, though. As much as I wanted to jump up on top of elevated objects (remember this day?), I didn't think that my seeing spots was conducive to a good workout experience so I peaced out and headed home to recover from my traumatic rowing experience.

I didn't feel too great when I woke up on Saturday so I layed out of the 9:30 class and took it easy.  Besides, we had major cleaning to do to prep for the Mother's Day lunch on Sunday that we had so thoughtfully planned Friday afternoon. I may or may not have made "Berries and Cream" for dessert and Ohmylanta. You don't even need to know the recipe. Just know that I licked the beater clean. And the bowl. Polly didn't know what to think of this behavior. I may have licked the can of sweetened condensed milk, too. Maybe.

Today is most likely going to be a twofer day, so stay tuned for Sunny and The Rower: Redemption as well as the recipe for Berries and Cream as soon as I stop drooling on myself.

-Sunny

No comments:

Post a Comment