Pages

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Overboard

Has anyone ever seen the movie Overboard with Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell? In the movie, Joanna (Goldie Hawn) falls off of her yacht and is "rescued" from a hospital by the carpenter who had remodeled her closet. She had treated him quite horribly and he got her back big time when he took her home to be "mom" to his gang of boys. She suffered from amnesia so she was none the wiser. She went from living in the lap of luxury to living with the dogs. Literally

This cracks me up!
What does this have to do with my usual Crossfit talk, you ask? Well, the boys are obsessed with this comic character "Doctor Death" and it's the only thing they can read. Last night, I met Dr. Death and he turned out to be a she.

Let me backtrack and tell you a little bit about her. We went to school together and actually sang in the same all girls choral group. She was, and still is, extremely sweet and soft spoken as well as very athletic. Before yesterday I knew her only as Whitney.

But all of that changed. Yesterday may have been the most exhausting workout I've done yet. It didn't involve as many reps as others we have done but it worked our arms until I could barely raise them and then it worked them even more. I could barely open my car door or drive home if that tells you anything.

Whitney turned into Dr. Death while we were warming up with some bench presses. My last memory of bench presses was in the 9th grade when my friend Claire and I were so weak that our feet would come off of the ground as we fought against the 45 lb bar. I don't remember whether or not we were able to actually lift it.

Well, friends, not much has changed! When I would say "I can't do it" Doc would reply "One more" in her sweet little voice. I'll tell you firsthand that it's a lot harder to say no to her than it is to Major Pain. I'm not quite sure why, but I'll let you know when I figure out. I remember thinking that my throat was about to go through some serious trauma when I struggled to lift the bar but Dr. D saved the day and helped me up. My partner for this portion was pumping through them with no problem. Showoff.

Anyway, Dr. D had us hang cleaning (video here) and pushuping our arms off. There weren't any kids in earshot so you can imagine the things that were being said! When I tell you that my arms felt like they were on fire I am not exaggerating. We finished off with 3 minutes of burpee hell and we were dismissed. I knew that I would be sore today but I had no idea to what extent.

To put it simply, my arms and shoulders hurt when I breathe. I had to take breaks when I was blow drying my hair this morning and I've got my keyboard shoved so far up against my monitor that everything is going to go off of the back of my desk (so that I can rest my forearms and elbows on the desk).


I invited a pal of mine to join us last night and she loved it so she'll be joining me again tonight! Woohoo! Even though I dread leg nights I'm hoping my arms get a break!

You'll hear all about it tomorrow!

-SJM

No comments:

Post a Comment