Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

Paleo

When I started researching Crossfit I kept coming across "Paleo" this and "Paleo" that. I finally got tired of being ignorant on the subject so I did what any brilliant mind would do. I googled it which led me to my favorite reputable source on all things academic: Wikipedia. Here is the article I found. Needless to say, I was wondering what in the Sam Hill Dick Cheney had to do with anything. I quickly discovered that what I was looking for was the Paleolithic Diet.

Simply put, it's the caveman diet. If you can't find it in the woods or kill it in the wild, don't eat it. Eliminate refined sugars (or all sugars, for that matter), grains and processed dairy. Now, "refined sugars and processed dairy" are my made-up terms for this explanation. If you want a more scientific description go look it up and the information will abound.

I went to a semi-Paleo diet for a week and I could really tell a difference. I was less bloated, I didn't get as hungry as often and I had more energy. This, coupled with the fact that I can eat unlimited bacon, really sparked my interest in changing over to this type of diet. My philosophy when dealing with food is "the closer to nature the better." Butter? Sure! Margarine? Yeah right! Heavy cream? Yay! RediWhip? Get real. Get it? Good.

When I started looking up things that I could cook that didn't include steak (nothing wrong with steak) or grilled chicken (nothing wrong with that either) I realized that 95% of the stuff made me want to vomit. I mean, come on. Beef heart stir-fry? Cow tongue kabobs? I knew that if I was going to do any cooking, it wasn't going to be by these recipes! So, I'm going to start posting recipes as I come across them. Most of them are ones I've been doing for a while but will be adapting for your Paleo culinary pleasure. I am not a chef. I can cook but I usually adapt recipes rather than make them up myself. Everything I will post is absolutely 100% doable. And I promise it won't taste like health food. Unless it is health food in which case it will be clearly labeled as such. New recipe coming soon.

-SM

No comments:

Post a Comment