Pages

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Redemption and a Video

In my last post (found here) I told you of my great disappointment. The day that I walked out of a Crossfit class because of something being off within my person. Well, on Monday I had my rematch.

We started off with dead lifts. As I've mentioned before, I'm stacked down bottom so my legs are usually pretty solid. I "breezed" through those (if one can breeze while lifting very heavy weights) and awaited the second segment.

The second segment sucked. It was shoulder presses and pull ups. Two of my most favorite things. I used the "baby bar" which is 30 lbs. versus the regular bar (45 lbs.) but that didn't make things go any smoother. I blew through the first reps but after the pull ups, my arms were shaking and each movement was a struggle. I should also note that this particular day was exceptionally humid and I looked (and felt) like someone had dumped water over my head.

Once we finished with the Workout of the Day (WOD) we did a "Cashout". My definition of cashout is this: a torturous activity that one must complete before being granted permission to leave the premises.

Guess what the cashout was...

You're so smart! ROWING!!! This time it was for 3 minutes and we were measuring calories.  I vaguely remember Eric issuing something that sounded like a warning. I think his words were "This will blister your heart and lungs."

Now, being a logical person I would think that one wouldn't want to blister one's heart and lungs. Surely he wants us to take it a little easier and move at a more comfortable pace.

Nope. Blister away baby! And blister I did. Somewhere around the last 30 seconds that familiar headache began to set in. I rowed through it, stubbornly refusing to stop until the clock dinged. And don't you know it stopped and I had only burned 30 calories?! Thirty calories! That's not even a donut!

If that doesn't put what you eat into perspective then I don't know what will! After the rowing we went for a 400 m run which was actually quite nice considering the cooler weather. That, and rowing makes running look like a picnic by the lake. Now that is saying something!

When I got home Polly and I ate tons of leftover grilled chicken from Sunday to celebrate my success. I may still hate the rower, but at least I know that I can do it without having to stop and/or die.

Now, as a special treat I give you a crossfit video. One of our members actually takes a lot of awesome photos of us and posts them to his website. This video is a compilation of different work outs and you'll see me, struggling away, somewhere within its contents. So, if you've wondered what Crossfit looks like- here it is!


Also, this is the link to Ashley's website. You may recognize some of your friends here.


I've had a lot of people ask me about Crossfit and how I do it. Well, if it isn't apparent through my blogging, I barely make it through each class. It is a constant struggle to push myself and not give up. I eat (a little) better than I did before and I go into the workouts with a positive attitude. The "I can't do this" mentality won't get you far. The first visit is free, so I really do encourage anyone considering it to go ahead and give it a try! If you think that you have to get in shape before you go then that is just silly.

You'll never be prepared for what Crossfit throws at you.

Dum da dum dum DUMMMMM!!!

Muahahahahaha,
Sunny

No comments:

Post a Comment