Pages

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Day 1: Prayer Requests

This morning I went to church in my home town for the first time in a long time. I've been living in the big city going to my big city church and had forgotten the "church culture." My favorite interaction of the day was with my Bible teacher from grade school. She askd me how my house was.

My house? It's... a house?

She then went on to say how I'd lamented over it while I was in school and then... it dawned on me.

I was "The Prayer Request Girl." Every day, we would take prayer requests in Bible class. The teacher would never cut us off, as Prayer Requests were very important because someone is always needing to be prayed for. On days when we would have a test, my classmates would turn to me and give me the look. I knew that it was my responsibility to drag out Prayer request time for as long as humanly possible. I'd pray for my house, my preacher, my mom, my dog... You name it and I'd pray for it. Now, the things I put on the list did need to be prayed about. I actually did a good thing-prayed for people in need and usually got the test pushed back a day.

That was eight years ago, and hearing my teacher ask about the house that I'd prayed so hard for brought back mixed emotions. It was so sweet of her to remember it. It also reminded me of those days that I would (not literally) pray for everyone in the phonebook. Amen.

1 comment: