Pages

Thursday, May 24, 2012

30 Days of Crossfit

Well, peeps, yesterday marked the 1 month marker for my Crossfit journey. One month ago I was stomping around my room throwing dresses everywhere because they wouldn't fit. After that little temper tantrum I decided to do something, so here I am now. A lot of people have been asking me how it's going so I'm going to do a month in review.

The first week was really tough. The only thing that got me through was going almost every day the gym was open because I was afraid of the soreness that would sit in during my "day of rest". Week two was a good week. I felt encouraged and like I could tackle pretty much anything that came my way. Week three was tough but manageable. I could really tell a difference in my energy levels. I had been trying to follow the Paleo diet and I'd say I follow it 80% of the time. Breakfast is what kills me. I hate eggs. Love grits, but they aren't allowed so they're out. Biscuits are my life. I want biscuits for every meal. Needless to say, we're still working on the diet part!

Then there was week four. Oh week four. I swear it's like Eric knew that I'd been eating donuts at work or something because I promise you those were the toughest freaking workouts to date and they were all consecutive! Wall balls ran rampant. We rowed until our hearts wanted to explode. We ran. We dead lifted. We rowed some more. And we planked. We ran. It just keeps going! It was insane! I lost 1/2" off of my waist last week alone!

For the one month workout Eric had something special planned. Now, I seriously doubt that he had it marked down as "Sunny's One Month Mark" but I really think that he subconsciously knew. I saw people running the 400m course when I pulled up. Rut row. When I walked in I saw people jumping. JUMPING!  On boxes! Boxes that were 20" or higher! I wanted to just DIE when I saw those boxes! We know how I felt about jumping over the utility blocks, but  now I was supposed to jump on two of them stacked on top of one another! Great! I am not exaggerating when I say that I would have rather someone throw me in a pool full of snakes.

So, to clarify, we were run 400m, do the normal stretches, 10 push ups and 25 burpees to warm up. Then I got to do back squats for the movement (I still do front squats because my hips "roll under" and my core is weak and I tend to lean forward). The actual workout was 20 box jumps with a 400m run in between followed by a 2 minute break. Repeat. Four times.

Somehow I made it through the jumps with minimal drama. I still felt like I was going to fall over the front of the blocks and bust out my teeth (my #1 fear at Cossfit) but I didn't. So I jumped and ran and jumped and ran. Right at the end I tweaked my arm movements and got a little more momentum of ouf them. Oh man, I was so happy to be done with that workout! But wait, there's more! We had to choose between doing dips or "Awesome Push ups" as our cashout for the day. Awesome push ups are push ups that dont' suck like they usually do. Well we know that I suck at all things upper body so I was directed to do push ups so that I could "perfect the movement". Ha. Ha. Ha.

During my first week at Crossfit I remember thinking "Is my lower back supposed to hurt during these?" No, moron. It is not. It hurts because you are doing them wrong and you're being a sissy. My hideous form gained the attention of some of the guys so they took me under their wing and attempted to teach me how to do one properly. The problem is that I'm so weak up top that I'm just pulling my chest up and my butt is sagging behind. A saggy arse is no good when one is doing push ups. After much yelling and discussion and a few comments like "I think there's some extra mass back there weighing her down," we decided that I just needed to practice my "let downs" and worry about pushing up later. Gotta build that core!

The cashout just about broke me. Frustrated doesn't begin to explain the emotion. I don't know what I'm going to have to do to get my core stronger but I'm willing to do just about anything! It takes time to perfect movements and get everything right. You can't start out on top. I know all of these things, but it doesn't make the feeling that you're failing go away. That's a tough pill to swallow! I didn't mention it earlier but I've made the switch to the 5:30 class so I have the feeling that I'm going to be slamming my head against the wall a lot more now that I've got the pictures of health and fitness running laps around me as I dry heave and shuffle my way through the runs.

On a positive note, I can say that I've lost 2.5 inches off of my waist and other miscellaneous inches that add up to 6.5 total. I've got before and after bathing suit pics but I'm saving them for the 90 day marker so that I can really see how far I've come. That, and I want to be a former blubber butt before I start sharing bikini pics!

If anyone has any before and after pics from Crossfit or any other program they've been doing, I'd love to write up a post on you and what you've been doing! Crossfit isn't for everyone, but we should all be striving to be fit and healthy! Nothing like some good before and afters for motivation! (I've got specific people in mind and they know who they are!)

 I hear we're doing shoulders tonight! I would usually dread it but I'm so happy that my feet will be on the ground that I don't care!

On a totally unrelated note, Polly has revealed to us that she is completely able to jump up on the bed unassisted. After a year of me hauling her up and down! The heifer got tired of us ignoring her on the floor so she just hopped up the other day! I really don't know what I'm going to do with her.


Laters,

Sunny

No comments:

Post a Comment