Pages

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Wax On, Wax Off

The other day I was reading an article about parents who put their children in beauty pageants. One woman was forcing her 5 year old to get a spray tan and have her eyebrows waxed. To say that I think this is nonsense and that woman needs to be put in an institution would be an understatement. Bad parenting aside, it reminded me of an incident that happend a few years ago.

Back home, I've got this little Cambodian lady who does my nails. Her name is Mrs. Sarah and I have been going to her for 10+ years. To say she loves me is an understatement. She kisses me, hugs me, tells everyone within earshot how good of a girl I am and how smart I am. She blows up my ego big time.

Mrs. Sarah also does my eyebrows every now and then. She is the exception in eyebrow waxing. I never found anyone as good as her in Atlanta and I'll stick with her now that I'm back home. She does such a great job. I've referred countless friends to her and they love her as well. Never has she ever messed up my eyebrows. My face, on the other hand...

It was a crisp fall day and I had just left work and decided to get my eyebrows done on my way home.  Mrs. Sarah had a salon full of older women who were getting their lips, chins, cheeks, and any other hairy facial feature they had waxed. I think she even waxed someone's nose. We were all chatting and laughing and I waited my turn patiently.

When I sat in the chair Mrs. Sarah said "Ooohh guhhh... You need eyebrow! You wait long time come see me. I do for you!"

I told her I was sorry and told her to fix me up good. She then pointed toward my temple and told me that to get a really good shape she'd wax all the way out there to clean it up. I didn't know my eyebrows grew out there, but hey, I'm not the expert! I told her to do what she had to do. She waxed my eyebrows and after she stripped the last cloth off, I gripped the chair arms to pull myself up to take a look. But, before I could do it, I felt her put wax on my CHEEK! My cheek? My cheeks aren't hairy!

"Mrs. Sarah! What are you doing!"
-"It will make it smooth... beautiful like model!"
"Mrs. Sarah I don't need that."
-"It's ok. I won't charge. Just let me do other cheek."

Let me break the story to explain one thing: waxing virgin skin leads to pimpling and redness and all sorts of bad things. By the time I walked out of there, she'd waxed 3/4 of my face.
My make-up wouldn't stick to my face because she'd removed the top layer of skin so I only had makeup on my forehead, nose and chin areas. Two days later, it broke out into the worst acne of my life. I stayed inside for as long as I could and when I did go into public I caked on so much make-up I looked like one of "those girls" from middle school.

Let this be a lesson to you girls. If you feel your esthetician moving toward any unanticpated areas, act fast! Grab their wrist if you have to!

I will say that Mrs. Sarah does do the best eyebrows and gives one mean pedicure. Here is the information incase you want to go see her. I highly recommend that you do! Just don't let her wax your face.

No comments:

Post a Comment