Pages

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

My Baby

Today is my baby's first birthday. Ok, so she's actually my baby brother's baby, but I call her mine because I want her for myself and maybe, one day, if I say enough then it will be true. 

I was on a 12' ladder painting my bedroom when my mom called me in August of 2009 to tell me the news. I was going to be an Aunt. Again. I almost fell off the ladder. 

Months passed and many Ralph Lauren and Gap outfits I did buy. My heart filled with excitement and my bank account drained like a gas tank with a bullet hole. I was so excited for March. I couldn't wait to meet her!

At roughly 10:08 p.m. on February 8, 2010 (3 hours after Sam had Natalee) my mom texted me to ask me if I was sitting down. And I'm glad I was. My sister-in-law, Rachael, had gone in to pre-term labor. She wasn't due until March but had begun having contractions. The baby wasn't in the right position so they really needed to get her contractions under control. She and my brother had gone to the hospital to do just that.

At 12:00 a.m. on February 9, 2010 my baby brother called me to tell me that I needed to leave Athens and come home. They were going to do a C-Section and the baby was going to be here soon. I jumped in my car and headed back home immediately. I was crying and smiling and laughing and crying the whole way.

I was stopped about half way through my drive because apparently I was driving rather rapidly through a small town. The Sheriff didn't know whad to do with my blubbering self so he let me go with a warning. "Go on and see that baby niece, Sunny. Congratulations! And slow down sweetheart! The next guy down the road may not be so nice!"

When I finally got to the hospital, she was already here.

My brother greeted me outside of the room and informed me that Madi was on oxygen since she had been born early.  After I had a panic attack and lost all of the color in my face, he assured me that she was fine and that it was just a precaution.
 This was taken right after I'd arrived and before I'd seen her.

She was so tiny when she was born...



...but that changed FAST! Check out the cheeks!



I smile and tear up at the mention of her name. I could go on and on about how much I love her, but for now I'll let the pictures do the talking. There's plenty more time to gush about her later.


Four Months

Five Months

Six Months. Check out the hams!

Seven Months

Nine Months

Ten Months

Eleven Months

1 Year.

I honestly don't know what I did with all of the love in my heart before she was born. Where did I put it all?  She is one special little girl and we are all incredibly blessed to have her with us.

So, you see, today is very important! It's my sweet angel's birthday!

Happy Birthday Madi! 

3 comments:

  1. Sunny! I have a god daughter that I feel exactly the same way about. She lives in S.C. and it breaks my hear that I can't see her everyday or every week at least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't they the sweetest! I'm keeping her tomorrow. I would steal her if my brother wouldn't kill me! And if it wasn't illegal. The illegal part is really what's holding me back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you didn't fall off the ladder exactly, but you did sit right down in the middle of the empty floor once you got OFF the ladder and started to cry. Boy did I not know what to do with you then.

    ReplyDelete