Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Jelly

While I was in college, the oversized wrist watch trend hit. And hit it did. Everyone I knew had a Michael Kors watch. One friend's was gold, another's cream. Mine is tortoise shell.

There's also a black one that I accidentally bought one day when I was feeling sorry for myself. They're beautiful watches and I had to stop going to Nordstrom because two is more than enough.

I'm attaching pictures below so that you can get a good visual. That, and to help you appreciate the following story fully.


As you all do not know, I have recently begun working at an insurance agency in the smallest town I've ever frequented. It's the good kind of small town. It's got a few cute shops, a drug store/everything store, and two and a half restaurants. I say a half because most of them are closed on numerous days of the week. Except Subway. 

I wore black pants on the first day of work and the towns people looked at me like I was an alien. I wore wedges on the second day and the towns people looked at me like I was an alien. I wore jeans and sandals on the third day and the towns people smiled at me and didn't stare. It was a great relief.

On the fourth day I wore my tortoise shell watch to work. I actually wear it every day, but this day I had on 3/4 sleeves and it was easily visible.

I was talking to a particular lady who must have been in her sixties. We were almost done with our conversation when she spotted my watch. 

**Time out. Let me take this moment to say that the only mall that sells these watches is two hours away from this town. It is highly likely that she has seen my watch or even knows who Michael Kors is, juding by her elastic ankle sweat pants. I take great pride in my accessories so the following conversation metaphorically knocked the wind out of me.**

Spotting my watch, she says "Oh, I've got one of them jelly watches but it's purple. I got it at the drug store and I paid $5 for it. I hear people pay as much as $10 for them. That's just too much if you ask me." 

This is a jelly watch.


Welcome to rural Georgia. You can pick up your watch at the drug store. Just watch for price gouging. I hear they charge $10 in some parts.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think you know this yet but I have that big rose gold one in the middle now. Tee hee. :-)

    ReplyDelete