Pages

Friday, June 22, 2012

Tres y Quatro

I feel like I should start off by saying proclaiming that I just ate two scrambled eggs. Without gagging. For the first time I can remember.

Now, back to business as usual. I got tied up yesterday (figuratively, not literally) and couldn't blog so this is a two-fer-one. I'll dive right in.

Day 3
Breakfast: 3 sausage muffins, Diet Coke
Lunch: Somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 of a smoked chicken, sweet potato, water
Dinner: 4 oz of grilled flank steak, roasted carrots and zucchini, water
Snack: Protein shake shortly before dinner

Day 4
Breakfast: 2 sausage muffins, Diet Dr. Pepper
Lunch: Chicken grilled with red peppers, Spanish rice, water
Dinner: Smoothie made with grapes, mango and peaches with some coconut milk. Protein shake.

I'm actually leaving for Charleston today so I started off with scrambled eggs and bacon. And a Diet Dr. Pepper. Now, some of you are probably shaking your fingers at me saying "Sodas aren't Paleo" and I'm saying "No crap." I allow myself one a day because a month ago I was drinking 4 cokes a day. Not diet, but regular coke. Then it was Pepsi. So, I've gotten down to one a day and if I don't have it my eye starts twitching. I'll find a better alternative.

In preparation for this vacay, I made more sausage muffins this morning so that I'd have something for back up should I find myself stranded in Fastfoodville. I'm interested to see how the Challenge holds up this weekend. Adam is super supportive of my whole Crossfit/Paleo deal so I'm lucky in the aspect that he won't purposely tempt me. Except Wednesday when he waved french fries in my face.

I wanted to go visit the Crossfit in Charleston but I rolled my ankle coming off of a box jump this morning so I think that's out. BTW, I rolled my ankle because I was being nosey and turning my head to hear a conversation behind me and my feet turned with me. NOT because of exhaustion/being pushed too hard. I was, and still am, pretty upset that I didn't finish the WOD because it was a really good one. Anyway, I'll leave you the recipe for my easy peasy roasted carrots and zucchini before I embark on our voyage.


Roasted Carrots
Ingredients:
Carrots
Olive Oil
Kosher or Sea Salt
Pepper

Directions:
1. Preheat your oven to 425. Cut your carrots into quarters length wise and arrange them on a baking sheet. I used my stone baking sheet but whatever floats your boat! If you're using metal I advise parchment paper as the sugar from the carrots may make a mess on your pan.

2. Drizzle some Olive Oil over the carrots and toss them to coat. Sprinkle with sea salt, pepper and paprika. Toss again to coat.

3. Roast them for 25 minutes or until they're fork tender. I have to check on mine frequently because depending on the size of the carrots they may cook faster.

Done! Adam doesn't love these but he's not a carrot eater. I, on the other hand, love them. I'm going to try adding some garlic powder to them next time.

Roasted Zucchini
(I know that this is probably remedial for a lot of you but some people don't cook and have no idea that it's this easy!)

Ingredients:
Zucchini
Olive Oil (Or whatever oil floats your boat)
Kosher or Sea Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder

1. Preheat oven to 425. Cut Zucchini into quarters length wise, then cut again into quarters across. Did that make sense? Just chop it up!

2. Spread zucchini out onto baking dish and drizzle with Olive Oil. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. I like a lot of all of it and some people don't like much seasoning so it depends on your personal taste. Just don't drown it with salt!

3. Roast for 20 minutes or until tender. Again, depending on your oven it may take longer! I roasted my zucchini and carrots together this week and they were great. The zucchini may have cooked a little too long but it still tasted good.

Adios!
Sunny

No comments:

Post a Comment