Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Day 2: Snowed In

Yesterday I enjoyed my first snow day in the working world. Growing up in the South means that these days come few and far between. I miss "Rain Days," when all of the schools in the county would close down because school buses couldn't make it down rural dirt roads. Ahh, the joy of country life. I'm currently living in the City so these icy conditions mean lots of skidding tractor trailers and Range Rovers, which means Sunny won't be taking her little rice burner out onto the roadways. Snow also brings back many memories from my childhood and collegehood (Yes, it is a word. I just made it up.):

1-Snow taught me not to trust the Weather Channel. I got my hopes up more times than I can count by trusting the meteorologists. I'd sit and watch rain fall out the window waiting for it to turn to flakes so that I could build a snowman and pelt my cousins with snowballs... The snow never came and I was disappointed time and time again. What do they know anyway?

2-Snow taught me not to run on slick surfaces. When I was in elementary school, we were treated to a blizzard(ish) snow storm. My uncle had launched a snowball and hit my aunt square in the face- I found this hilarious. So hilarious that I had to race to the bathroom to keep from peeing my pants. Well, several other snow-players had visited the potty before me so the floor was slick. I slipped in the water and fell straight on my behind, breaking my tailbone. And peeing my pants. It was wretched. Embarrassed, I kept it a secret and hobbled around all day pretending nothing was wrong.

(I did change pants and underwear, for the record.)

3-Snow taught me that Uggs, while warm, aren't practical snow shoes. My first year at the University of Georgia, there was a blizzard. It was so beautiful. Everything was blanketed in a fresh blanket of powder. Everything including my stairs. You see, when you step on five inches of snow, it compresses and forms a layer of ice. I was going to run down stairs to grab something from my car and didn't take all of these things into account. On the first step, I went airborn and-you guessed it-landed square on my can. Once again, I injured my tailbone. This resulted in a few weeks of absolute agony. Lesson learned. I've never walked in the snow without calculating each and every step again.

This snow day, I'm keeping myself inside. I'm not running, I'm not trusting the Weather Channel when they say the worst is over, and I'm looking at my UGGS sitting on their little shelf in my closet. They aren't to be trusted, those UGGS. I'll stick to my camo rain boots.

1 comment:

  1. P-Dub is recently obsessed with Uggs! Maybe you should post your link as a counter-argument in the comments section! Then you'll have something to discuss when we go meet her on March 11. :-)

    ReplyDelete