Pages

Monday, April 30, 2012

The Henchmen

In case you don't know much about me, I am an insurance agent when I'm not eating sweets or pinning pictures of my dream home. While I normally get to save people money and make them happy, there are times when I have to be the bearer of bad news. Just last week I had a really angry elf of an elderly woman staring me down as I attempted to lower her monthly bill. I was semi-successful, but it was my delivery of the bad news that kept her from chewing me out. Do you want to know I saved my skin?

I smiled when I told her. Yep. It's as simple as that. No one wants to hear that they owe more money than they had budgeted for from a jerk. So, if you smile when you're delivering the blow, it takes the edge off.

Now, what does this have to do with my normal Crossfit posts? Well, my friends, it has EVERYTHING to do with Saturday. You see, my class decided that we would attend Saturday’s 9:30 am class together to get in an extra workout. We were told that attendance is low, so we felt fairly safe assuming that it would be just us girls.

What did we learn about assuming last week? Apparently, nothing!

When I walked through the door phrases like "Get out of dodge," and "In over my head " flashed through my mind. You all know how I love to be descriptive and I'm not going to let you down. I was instantly aware that we weren't in Kansas anymore when I saw some of the "advanced" guys doing pull-ups and rowing way faster than I ever imagined at the far side of the gym. Actually, they were more like machines than men. Crossfit manchines (lame, I know, but seriously. They were unstoppable). I looked around for my girls and found them stretching in our usual spot. We all had the "oh ****" look on our faces and I think that if I had offered to drive everyone to Cracker Barrel for breakfast instead of staying, I wouldn't have met much resistance. We were the little kids on the big kids' playground. No doubt about it.

Major Pain had other obligations so, in his absence, he unleashed his henchmen on us. His wife was the butt kicker for the day. She smiled during introductions and seemed to be one of the sweetest people I've ever met until she dropped a bomb on us in the form of a ridiculous workout of the day. She did redeem herself with some paleo style strawberry cupcakes (which she delivered with a smile) att the end of the workout, though. She had assistance in the form of a very muscular, very enthusiastic Crossfit regular that sometimes helps out when they need more hands and eyes. He is also loud. And bossy. Soooooo bossy!

I'll cut to the chase and tell you that by the time we were warmed up and ready for our workout of the day, I had already scraped the skin off of my knees and soaked my shirt with sweat. The actual "workout" was pure torture. We did a combination of dead lifts and running. It started off with doing 25 reps and then running 400 meters (1/4 mile) and coming back in and doing more reps, more running, etc. I got lapped so many times by the guys during this process that I quit keeping count.

**I found out during the lifts that I need to work on my flexibility because my butt won't go far enough down. I blame it on my leg and butt fat smushing together and not allowing any more downward movement. Don't try to tell me any different.

I am not exaggerating when I say that I wanted to puke and cry all at the same time. The ONLY thing that kept me going was Mrs. Linda running beside me cheering me on and the bossy manchine yelling at me from the gym that I was going to have to do burpees if I quit running. So yeah, I basically sucked it up because I hate burpees more than I hate running. And Mrs. Linda was sweet enough to run with me. That's what I love about Crossfit. When anyone sees that you are struggling, they automatically jump into cheerleader gear. It also helps that they've all been where I am and remember their first few weeks. Sympathy all around, guys!

When I got back I was seeing stars (in the literal sense) and wanted to curl up into the fetal position, but we had 100 abmats to do (sit ups with your legs butterflied). I haven't done abs in three years so this was an experience I won't soon forget. I still feel like someone kicked my in my ribs.

By the time I was finished I had a pretty ridiculous sunburn on my face but I actually felt better once I caught my breath. I guess the grueling run worked the soreness out of my legs from earlier in the week. Even though it was probably the most exhausting workout I've ever experienced, I was so proud of our class for making it through with the big boys!

I finished the day with some gardening and a second viewing of The Hunger Games which renewed my love for the books. I might read them again this week!

Now, if you will excuse me, I've got to put my smiley face back on and break some bad news!

Peace out!

SJM

No comments:

Post a Comment